November 17-19, 2017
Questions: Dr. Scott Corley, firstname.lastname@example.org
The UWM Middle School Honor Band Festival is one of the longest standing events of its kind. Our festival provides the region’s most motivated and accomplished middle school instrumentalists an opportunity to work with each other and with nationally recognized wind band conductors. In addition, students participate in master classes with the UWM Department of Music’s performance faculty, and they hear performances by UWM ensembles.
Special Instrumental Needs
- Flute Students: Should bring a piccolo if you have access to one and want to be considered for piccolo parts. Piccolo assignments will be made under the leadership of the guest conductor/clinician.
- Brass Students: Trumpet and trombone students should bring straight mutes. Other mutes may be requested during the course of the weekend.
- Percussion Students: Are required to bring a pair of general-purpose snare sticks, keyboard mallets, and timpani mallets.
For the UWM Honor Band concert, please wear what you would wear for your own school band concerts. Other suggestions are:
- Gentlemen: Buttoned dress shirt with a tie, (suit coat or sports coat optional), black dress or dark chino-style pants, dark (black) socks, black dress shoes (no sneakers or athletic shoes).
- Ladies: Long-sleeved tops with modest necklines and skirts/dresses that are “tea-length” or to the floor (no hem-lines above the calf), dark dress shoes and socks/hosiery. Dress pants/pant-suits are acceptable.
Casual (appropriate for school) clothing is appropriate for festival rehearsals and other activities.
There are limited Student Union dining facilities that will be open during the festival, but are open to the public. Other restaurants are adjacent to campus, within a four-block walk. Participants will not be accompanied by Festival staff to/from meals. Students and parents are free to make any arrangements necessary for meals.
For students traveling further than 60 miles from Milwaukee, we recommend finding overnight accommodations. To assist you in this, we have listed a few hotel options in the near vicinity of the University. This listing is available once nominations are complete.
You are encouraged to use metered street parking, the university parking structures, or other university lots. Additional information is available at uwm.edu/parking. Participants and patrons are responsible for following all posted parking regulations. Students are responsible for arranging prompt pick-up and drop-off plans with their parents and/or traveling party.
Registration & Ticketing
Online Pre-registration help/deadline
If computer access is limited, please contact the Peck School of the Arts Box Office at (414) 229-4308 for help. Accepted students who do not complete the online Pre-Registration for the Honor Bands Festival by November 11 may have their seat taken by one of the alternate students.
The Box Office fulfills ticket orders for all of the Sunday UWM Honor Band Festival concerts. Reservation, payment, and concert recording CDs are made during the Accepted Students’ Pre-Registration process.
For families/groups with more than one festival participant
- Please purchase tickets for one of the concerts during pre-registration
- Contact the Box Office at (414) 229-4308 to reserve complementary tickets by November 16 for the second/third concert. (You only need to purchase tickets to ONE concert)
- Student participants who’d like to attend Sunday performances (after their own) require a complementary ticket (no purchase required) – please make this request through the Box Office by November 16
- During On-Site Registration/Check-In, Friday, Nov. 17, UWM Union
- Sunday, Nov. 19, 9AM-11:30AM, Zelazo Center Box Office
- Sunday, Nov. 19, 12-3PM, Zelazo Center, Room 280
- Any remaining tickets available as “walk-up” sales on Sunday
Band Director Tickets
- Band directors are invited to attend any/all of the Middle School Honor Bands and Milwaukee Music Festival (High School) events for FREE
- For Sunday Middle School performances, please contact the Box Office to reserve your complementary tickets to each concert
FINAL CONCERTS – SUNDAY, NOV 19
- All Sunday final performances will take place in the Helene Zelazo Center for the Performing Arts, 2419 E. Kenwood blvd.
- All patrons should wait in the concert waiting area, Zelazo center ROOM 280 prior to each concert performance.
- Enter the Zelazo Center on the WEST side (Prospect Ave). Special needs access on the South side of the building via the small parking lot). The Waiting Area will be open and available for concert patrons beginning at noon.
- Each Middle School honor band will be ticketed on and perform on its own separate concert. Because of this, the concert hall will need to be cleared after each middle school performance. Patrons who are attending multiple performances should leave the concert hall, and re-enter with the other patrons waiting for the next performance.
- Please meet your student outside of the building immediately following the performance. Students are dismissed from Festival activities upon completing their concert performance.