Housing Accommodations

Students with documented long-term or permanent disabilities or serious medical conditions may request housing accommodations. To be eligible for housing accommodations the student must have a disability as defined by the ADA (a condition that represents a substantial limitation to one or more major life activities), the disability must necessitate adjustments to the living environment, and medical documentation must be provided.

Procedure to Request Housing Accommodations

    1. Complete the standard UWM Housing contract including your room preferences.
    2. At the same time, complete the Housing Accommodation Request Form (pdf opens in a new tab).  Submit this form to University Housing.
    3. You must submit current and complete medical/psychological documentation directly to ARC to support your request. Forms are available on our Forms & Policies page.

      Submit documentation by mail to:

      University Housing
      3400 N. Maryland Ave.
      Milwaukee, WI 53211

      Submit documentation by email with subject “Accommodation Request” to university-housing@uwm.edu

      Submit documentation by fax with “Accommodation Request” label to: (414) 229-4127.

      The documents MUST be labeled with “Accommodation Request”.

      Please note: Failure to provide adequate documentation will result in a denial of your request. Requests without supporting documentation will not be reviewed.

  1. The Accessibility Resource Center will review the housing request and University Housing will inform the student of the decision.

Special Dietary Requirements

Special Dietary Requirements should be referred to Restaurant Operations. Visit their website at http://uwm.edu/dining/.

Students with special dietary needs should complete the Food Allergy & Special Dietary Form at least 3 weeks prior to the first day of scheduled classes.

Denial of Requests

Housing requests are most often denied for one or more of the following reasons:

  1. Documentation was not provided.
  2. Documentation does not indicate a substantial limitation to a major life activity (student does not have a disability).
  3. The disability-related need does not require an alteration to the living environment. For example, students with ADHD, learning disabilities or psychological disabilities who request a private room in order to have a quiet place to study can meet this need through using other campus locations that are suitable for quiet study.
  4. A student makes a late request for a room that is no longer available. Housing should be contacted as soon as possible for accommodation requests.

Reviewed: August 2017